Thursday, October 14, 2010

What's been up

Well, this week has been busy! I have been helping out with flu shot clinics and right now I am in an ACLS (advanced cardiovascular life support) class... which = lots of studying! :) I was quite worried about taking this class with my non eventful nursing history. Never worked in an ER or ICU which require ACLS, so I'm VERY unfamiliar and nervous with the information. But it's going very well and our instructors are quite breezy! So, what do you cook when you have nooooooo time? Lots of frozen meals... but I certainly don't want to advertise that because I love to cook! :) Haha. So there are a few things I've whipped up quickly this week, and a cookie recipe I'd like to share with you... because I like cookies!! :) And these are divine! Something different, unique, bursting with flavor...
Chewy Coconut Lime Cookies


Ingredients
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Zest of one large lime, finely minced
3 tbsp lime juice
½ cup unsweetened toasted coconut
1/2 cup sugar for rolling cookies

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3. Using a mixer, beat together the butter and sugar until smooth and very fluffy.
4. Beat in egg, vanilla extract, lime juice and lime zest.
5. Gradually blend in the dry ingredients and toasted coconut.
6. Roll rounded teaspoonfuls of dough into balls, and roll in sugar. Place on lined cookie sheets about 1 1/2 inches apart.
7. Bake 8 to 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until lightly browned.
8. Let stand on cookie sheet two minutes before removing to cool on wire racks.

I enjoyed these plain... but mom did say that frosting on top would be great too, and I agree. You could frost those puppies up with some vanilla frosting and they would be delicious! But make sure you try at least one plain warm one!


The next meal I will show you is Apricot Soy Glazed Pork Tenderloin with Roasted Broccoli & Cauliflower.


You remember the Apricot Soy Glazed Turkey Burgers a few days ago? It's the exact same marinade (which I rather enjoyed)... except on a pork tenderloin! It turned out pretty good, although we did put some BBQ on as well when we served it. But hey... can't be perfect when you're in a rush. :) Roasted broccoli & cauliflower is straight forward- Toss with olive oil and seasoning (s & p, garlic salt, onion salt) and roast in a 425 degree oven for about 15 minutes. Taa Daa!!

And lastly we have just a beautiful picture of a fresh, crisp, pure salad. I do love lettuce salads and am quite a ranch dressing enthusiast. This was just some fresh romaine lettuce, cheese, broccoli, portabella mushrooms (I heart), tomatoes, pre packaged chicken breast strips. I could not believe that after I had beautifully prepared this salad I noticed there was NO RANCH DRESSING! I settled for Creamy Ceasar which ended up tasting quite nice! I toasted some bread, spread with butter and sprinkled with garlic salt.

Hope you have a good night!! And weekend!!! Aaron and I are BOTH off!! A miracle... and we have not much planned! Movie night on Saturday. Ta ta!

No comments:

Post a Comment