Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Greek Turkey Burgers & Sweet Potato Fries






Here's another recipe taken from my cookbook, an oldie but a goody! GREEK TURKEY BURGERS. Scared? You should not be. They are delicious, tasty, and unique. 

This is one of the first things I made for Aaron after we were married, on one of our first nights in Kansas. He was traveling back and forth to the Academy, and usually stopped home for about 4 hours at night, enough time to eat together and enjoy a few hours before he'd leave again. :) I still remember our faces after we tried a bite of these... the face you make when your eyes roll back into your head... because we loved them! 

I, of course, quickly made too many of these burgers... and they became ordinary, plain, and not exciting any more. Well, it's been a good year or 2 since I made them. We almost had the same 1st reaction again! THEY ARE SOOO GOOD! :)





I still can't remember what led me to make these in the first place. We were just married, I had my plain NW Iowa casserole taste... but I ran across the recipe for these and thought... "sure, why not." Ground turkey, cucumbers, feta cheese, pita pockets???? Words I'd never heard of before! But ooooh do they fit together. These flavors are so bold, and they really do a wonder on your taste buds. Try them, won't you? 


Let me help you get started. This is my favorite pita bread. Joseph's Flax Oat Bran & Whole Wheat Pita Bread. You can find it in Wal-Mart by the deli counter. They have some astoundingly good nutrition facts. One pita bread only has 60 calories I believe? Nuts. I like it. So start with these. 


BURGERS-
1 lb ground turkey
1/2 cup Italian bread crumbs
1 Tbsp milk
1 egg white
1/2 packet Italian dressing mix (save the rest for salsa)

Mix it all up, form 4 nice big patties. Cook on grill or George Foreman. I usually opt for the George Foreman. Then I don't hear the "uuuuggghhhh not again! Why do you always make me grill!!!" from Aaron. :) They turn out well on George Foreman. Nice and juicy.

SALSA-
1 cup chopped tomato
1/4 cup chopped cucumber
1/4 cup chopped black olives
1/2 packet Italian dressing mix
2 Tbsp white wine vinegar
2 tsp olive oil

Mix it all up, and chill for at least 15 minutes in fridge. 

Then build your burger... pita, burger, salsa, feta cheese. 


Please serve your burgers with these guys. SWEET POTATO FRIES. You must try these! This was the first time we tried these, and Aaron says "I think these are my new favorite thing EVER!" Haha. They were crunchy on the outside, a little sweet on the inside. Sprinkled with Lawry's and dipped in ketchup... am I making you drool yet??? They're becoming more and more popular, as evidenced by Ore-Ida now selling them! :) Pick up a bag next time you're strolling down the frozen potato isle.

1 comment:

  1. haha the NW Iowa casserole taste ... I'm trying to expand too :)
    Is that your tastebook in the first picture?? I have a few days off from school and was just working on one online!

    ReplyDelete