Thanks Pier 1 !!! :)
So, what do you make in the fall? SOUP soup SOUP soup!!
First soup on the menu for me? Bean & Barley Soup. Something different.
Bean & Barley Soup
- 7 cups fat free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 6 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 (4-inch) rosemary sprigs
- 1 (19-ounce) can dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup uncooked quick-cooking barley
- 10 cup torn spinach leaves (about 4 ounces)
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- Bring first 4 ingredients to a boil in a Dutch oven; reduce heat to medium-low, and cook 15 minutes. Drain through a sieve into a large bowl; discard solids.
- Measure 1 cup beans, and mash with a fork in a small bowl. Reserve the remaining whole beans.
- Heat oil in pan over medium heat. Add onions, carrot, and celery; cook 4 minutes. Add broth mixture, mashed beans, whole beans, tomatoes, and barley; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 15 minutes. Stir in spinach and black pepper; cook 5 minutes or until barley is tender. Sprinkle each serving with cheese.
Note: To ensure rich flavor, add garlic and herbs to canned broth for a homemade taste. Mashing a portion of the beans gives the soup extra body.
This soup was hearty and yummy! Just be careful. Can't say I eat a lot of barley in life. Didn't know how much fiber it had in it.... that's all I'll say.