Sunday, September 18, 2011

Chili Soup & Corn bread!

Yep, we broke out the chili soup this week too! :) Just couldn't resist! 

I stuck with a basic "Sioux Center recipe" for chili. Soup supper anyone? 


But it really is a keeper. Can't go wrong with it! I threw in some chopped tomatoes from the garden also, to give it a little more "chunkiness". 

Chili Soup
3 lbs hamburger
1 1/2 cups onion, chopped
2 medium potatoes, diced
4 cans kidney beans
4 cans tomato soup
2 qts tomato juice
2 qts water
3 tsp chili powder
Salt to taste

Brown hamburger with onion in a large pot, when no longer pink drain. Add the rest of ingredients, bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer at least 1 hour. 


Now, to make this a little more "my style" I use Spicy V8 and add a dash of cayenne. And, like I said, I put a few garden tomatoes in there. I also don't think I added all 2 qts of water. I just add water until the soup is my consistency. 


What's the first thing Aaron says? 

Aaron: "Potato? Is that potato? Who puts potato in their chili soup?!" 

Lindsey: "Well dear, do you not like it?"

Aaron: "Oh, its good. Its really good. Just never seen a potato in chili before!" 


And of course, don't forget your chili toppings! Cheese, sour cream, and crackers! :)

Now, on to *Aaron's* corn bread! He was very hesitant to give me his recipe. 

Aaron: "well, maybe I want to keep the recipe secret. So when I start my blog I will have some darn good recipes to use!" 

Lindsey: "Hmmm. Ok dear. When are you starting your blog? And who will read this blog?"

Aaron: "You don't think I could have a blog? I could have a blog." 




Southern Corn Bread
1 stick butter/margarine
1 cup sugar
4 eggs
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup flour
1 cup cornmeal
1 can creamed corn
1 small can green chiles
1 cup cheddar jack cheese

Cream together the butter and sugar. Add eggs, one at a time. Then add dry ingredients and mix well. Then mix in creamed corn, chiles, and cheese by hand. Pour into a greased glass baking dish. Bake at 300 degrees for 1 hour, or until a toothpick comes out clean. 




Oh yes, and as you can see the amount was a little too much for a pie pan, so we used a drip pan too... :)




Make sure you don't have any leftovers of the corn bread. It was DELICIOUS day #1, but leftovers were not near as good. 




Aaron did not like waiting for my picture taking. 

Aaron: "How many pictures do you need?!?! Why was the 1st one not good enough?!!"

Lindsey: "I need a variety of pictures. People like pictures. They need them to envision the goodness."

Aaron: "Oh goodness."


Side note. We went to Luciano's in Sioux City for the 1st time last night. I wanted to try a "unique" place to town, not just the usual Red Robin or Texas Roadhouse. You know? Definitely recommend Luciano's to anyone. It was great! And such a cool place!




Here was my dish... Prosciutto Tortellini. It was very good. But I would probably go for the chicken  next time. Prosciutto made it very salty. Good, but salty.

No comments:

Post a Comment